- Jacob deGrom – Your reigning, defending, and undisputed back-to-back National League Cy Young Award winner and possibly the best pitcher in the game.
- Marcus Stroman – The Mets paid a high price to get him at the deadline last year; now he has to step up. Stroman is playing for a big 2021 payday, so he’s got some skin in the game.
- Steven Matz – Matz has been consistently inconsistent over his career. He doesn’t have to be great, but very good would work nicely.
- Rick Porcello – In spring training, he pitched quite well. A return to his Cy Young days (2106) is too much to hope for.
- Michael Wacha – All the Mets need from him is to keep them in the game for five-to-six innings per start.
- Walker Lockett – Teams will need a No. 6 starter because of the condensed schedule.
The New York Mets need Jacob deGrom to be their staff ace now more than ever. He will not only lead the staff but may also have to make up for the loss of Noah Syndergaard, Behind him, Marcus Stroman and Steven Matz are third starters at best. Rick Porcello seems like he has enough left in him to take a regular turn as a solid part of the rotation. Michael Wacha and Walker Lockett round out the six-man staff.