The Jets addressed one glaring need on offense with the signing of wide receiver Eric Decker to a 5 year, $36.25 million contract but I don’t think the addition of one weapon will be enough to make this team formidable offensively. They need to add another talented target for quarterback Geno Smith to throw to.
There are five candidates in FanSided’s top 12 free agent Wide Receivers that have yet to sign on with a new team; let’s break down how each would fit in with the Jets:
3) Hakeem Nicks: To me, Nicks is the perfect fit for this Jets team. He is coming off of a year in which he did not score a single touchdown, but did record 894 yards last season. He is a talented pass catcher with Super Bowl pedigree and has proven he can handle New York.
4) Julian Edelman: Edelman had a huge season last year for the Patriots as Tom Brady‘s go-to-guy, but he has never had a season similar to it at any point in his career, which makes me wary of him. In my opinion he plays a similar style to Jeremy Kerley, and the Jets would not need two players of that type on the same squad.
6) James Jones: Jones has been amazingly consistent in his career in Green Bay, recording more than 600 yards in 5 of his 7 years in the NFL and doing so in each of the past four seasons. He reminds me of Decker in that he has never been a true number one, partially because Aaron Rodger’s ability to spread the ball around, but he would be a valuable asset to the Jets if acquired.
7) Emmanuel Sanders: Sanders is a servicable receiver, not spectacular. He had his best season last year after being promoted from the third receiver role to the second, due in large part to the departure of Mike Wallace from Pittsburgh. Sanders is a player I like, but don’t think he’s a great fit for the Jets becuase he seems to lack true big play ability, as evidenced by his 11 touchdown catches in his 4 seasons the NFL.
12) Sidney Rice: His health issues concern me, but when is in on the field he is a game-changer. If he can be had for an incentive laden deal I think he would be a decent fit on for the team. I consider Rice a high risk, high reward gamble.
Tags: New York Jets