For the full box score click here:
On a power play midway through the 1st period, Henrik Lundqvist got beat by a Brian Campbell blast for the first goal of the game. While Hank had no shot on that goal he deserves some blame on Scottie Upshall’s goal five minutes into the 2nd. It was a weak rebound that Hank NEEDS to stop. This team does not have the fire power to win when he gives up soft goals like that. Marian Gaborik split the defenders and scored a breakaway goal with four minutes left in the 3rd period, but Florida sealed the game on an empty net goal. The goal happened to be on a 6-on-4 power play for the Rangers.
- This game is the prime example of the Rangers lack of quality shots. They took 45 shots, but a chunk of the saves were gimmies for Markstrom. I will admit Markstrom played really well and the Rangers could have easily added another goal or two. That being said, I would prefer to see I game where the Rangers take 25-30 shots and they are good, quality shots set up with crisp passes.
- Gaborik is definitely coming out of his slump. Multiple times he used his speed to split the defenders, lead the team with 8 shots, and even showed a little toughness. If he continues to play with an extra jump in his step good things will happen for this team.
- Will anyone else be surprised of Rick Nash is NOT suspended for his hit in the 3rd period? He left his feet, made contact to the head, and hit a defenseless player. That is the trifecta for Brendan Shanahan. He wasn’t penalized for the hit, but I think the helmet flying off the head will catch the safety department’s attention.
- Jeff Halpern cannot buy a goal. I am almost starting to feel bad for him.
- How about Brian Boyle’s night in the faceoff circle? He went 10-0 and the Rangers still only won the faceoff battle with Florida 33-29. Stepan and Richards should start taking lessons from him.
- The Rangers need to start games and periods better. The amount of games they have lost in the first 10 minutes of games is going to come back to bite them.
- You know your powerplay sucks when it takes you give up an empty net goal :20 seconds into a 6-on-4 powerplay.