The New York Rangers (12-8-2) defeated the New York Islanders (10-11-3) in overtime by a score of 2-1.
The Rangers out shot the Islanders 37-29. For the complete box score click here.
This was a game of quantity vs. quality. The Rangers were peppering Evgeni Nabakov all game, but it was the Islanders who put heavy pressure on Henrik Lundqvist. Hank stood on his head and he stood no chance on the Michael Grabner goal. Cap’n
Cook Third Period made another appearance as Rick Nash netted his eight 3rd period goal of the season on an incredible deflection of a Derek Stepan shot. The Rangers were awarded a powerplay :20 seconds into OT and it only took another 20 for Marian Gaborik to end things.
Things I Loved:
- The Rangers have responded to four loses in a row with four wins in a row and look like something out of a Franz Kafka novel. This team is completely unrecognizable compared to the garbage on display in February.
- No power plays for the Islanders. With the Islanders knack for finding the back of the net, one or two penalties would have likely tipped things in the Islanders favor.
- Nash can only score in the 3rd period and Gaborik can only score against the Islanders, well at least over the last month. From February 7th until March 7th Gaborik only has 3 goals and all 3 were against the Islanders. I can live with Nash’s 3rd period fetish, but Gabby has got to stay aggressive and start putting more pucks in the net.
- How about Stepan? Two more assists tonight give him 15 points for the season and six points in his last four games (2G, 4A). Ryan O’Reilly who?
Things I Didn’t Love:
- Stu Bickel owes the ref a dinner for not letting him take a beat down.